Banana bread is a classic, all American, comfort food that just about everyone loves! Usually it’s packed with butter and lots of refined sugar. But this recipe is great because we swapped out the bad stuff for some more nutrient dense options like coconut oil, honey, unsweetened almond milk and whole wheat flour instead of refined white flour!
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey OR maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Optional: add in 1/2 cup chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, craisins, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil & honey (or maple syrup) together with a whisk.
- Add in the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and almond milk. (If your coconut oil starts to solidify on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes.)
- Add in the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and ground cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- Switch over to a large spoon and stir in the whole wheat flour until combined. If you are adding in any additional mix ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.