Written by: Taylor Weber, MS
As the holidays are quickly approaching, it is easy to fall into the trap of sugary sweets and treats that can spike your blood sugar levels. November is National Diabetes Awareness Month, and if you have diabetes, you know that temptation is everywhere during the holidays. Don’t let the temptations get you off track. Try these tips & tricks to help you manage your diabetes:
- Don’t skip any meals in order to make room for the feast, it will be harder to control your blood sugar levels, you’ll be hungrier & most likely over eat!
- Enjoy a healthy snack BEFORE all of the festivities begin to protect yourself from over eating.
- Instead of over filling your plate, try enjoying smaller portions of a few favorites while sticking to the healthier side dishes, such as the vegetables to help curb your appetite.
- Limit the savory toppings for your main course, such as the gravy, butter, sour cream, etc.
- Slow it down while eating, you’ll feel fuller quicker and will be less likely to over eat.
- Focus on fresh fruit for dessert instead of indulging on cake, cookies, and pies.
If you are struggling with diabetes, don’t let the holidays get you off track. All it takes is a little preparation and some extra planning. Just stay on top of your blood sugar, check it more often, and follow these tips & tricks to help you manage more easily during the next upcoming months. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!